We at Brooklyn Learning Lab believes that every child can learn and with a little help they can uncover their own education potential. Mathematics and Culture Online, our Online Mathematics Tutoring program, seeks to embed culture in Mathematics through STORIES. Our session one, "The Ancients, Arabians, Hindus Culture in Math: Whole Numbers, Fractions, and Decimals, we intend to develop children's mathematical understanding through stories steeped in the historical origins of these topics (whole numbers, fractions, and decimals) using problem-based learning prompts, number talks and math talks.
We would like your help to tutor kids in the following topic areas:
Whole Numbers (Place Value)
Who Should Volunteer With Us:
- Folks who are comfortable using their laptops or computer to tutor students online;
- Folks with internet at home, a working webcam, and microphone;
- Folks who have basic computer skills like how to operate a mouse or how to sign on and off a page;
- Folks willing to work with 2 or 3 children online;
- Folks confident that they have the mathematical knowledge in whole numbers (place values), fractions, and decimals to teach children;
- Folks willing to spend some time developing or adding to their mathematics knowledge through our online training modules;
- Folks willing to spend time weekly preparing, practicing and engaging with our weekly materials to effectively tutor our kids; and
- Folks willing to set aside 50 minutes from Monday to Friday for 30 days to invest in the lives of the children they are tutoring.
SESSION ONE THE ANCIENTS, ARABIANS, AND HINDUS CULTURE IN MATH: WHOLE NUMBERS, FRACTIONS, AND DECIMALS
START DATE: MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 25, 2017
END DATE: FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 3, 2017